By proactively managing both human resources and physical resources, agencies can optimize the efficiency of their winter operations. Many DOTs have undertaken snowplow route optimization studies, and recent research has also looked at optimizing fleet size and salt shed locations. Recent Clear Roads research has also examined best practices for emergency operations and for managing personnel during storms.
Research and Resources
- SPR-4404: Improve and Gain Efficiency in Winter Operations (Indiana DOT, expected completion 2021)
- Dynamic Snow Plow Fleet Management Under Uncertain Demand and Service Disruption (TRB Annual Meeting paper, 2015)
- Scheduling and Routing of Service Trucks and Planning of Resource Replenishment Locations for Winter Roadway Maintenance (University of Illinois, 2014)
- Winter Maintenance Asset Allocation Based on GIS Snow Plow Route Optimization Model (Ohio DOT; TRB Annual Meeting paper, 2014)
- Estimation of Maintenance Fleet Size for Spreading Operations Considering Road Geometry, Weather, and Traffic (TRB Annual Meeting paper, 2013)
- Research on Best Practices for Winter Weather Operations (Texas DOT, 2011)