Snowplow route optimization practices provides efficiency and cost reduction for agencies. However, planning snowplow routes is a complex operation that involves decisions regarding the staging, routing and refueling of the snowplow fleets that are responsible for plowing roadways and spreading chemicals and abrasives.
Related Manuals and Documents
View related documents including reports, manuals, handbooks and guidebooks on snow plow route optimization for the following agencies.
- Colorado: Colorado DOT Snow Route Optimization Research Report
- Kentucky: Snow and Ice Removal Route Optimization in Kentucky Report
- New Mexico: Winter Maintenance Guide
- Ohio: Presentation on Route Optimization for Snow and Ice Control in Columbus, Ohio
- Ohio: Snow and Ice Practices Document for Ohio DOT
- Missouri: Optimizing Winter/Snow Removal Operations in MoDOT St. Louis District – Includes Outcome Based Evaluation of Operations Report
- South Dakota: Winter Highway Maintenance Plan 2017-2018
Other Research and Resources
- Iowa DOT Office of Maintenance Snow Plow Optimization: The objective of this current Iowa DOT research project is to develop routing algorithms for snow plow operations.
- Optimization Models for a Real-World Snowplow Routing Problem: This paper explores the problem of optimizing the routes of a fleet of snow plowing vehicles subjected to street network topology, vehicle operating restrictions and resource (salt, fuel) usage and replenishment constraints.
- Optimizing Snow Plowing Operations in Urban Road Networks: A research focused on the development of a system for real-time optimization and management of snow plowing operations.
- Optimization of Snow Removal in Vermont: This report describes the set of processes implemented for optimizing roadway snow and ice control (RSIC) operations for the roadways that VTrans is responsible for.
- Route Optimization Phase I: The purposes of this project are to optimize snow and ice routes for ODOT’s snow plow trucks in Districts 1, 2, and 10 while eliminating county border restrictions.
- Vehicle Routing Optimization for Deicing Salt Spreading in Winter Highway Maintenance: In this paper, characteristics of different snow highway removal modes in winter and factors to affect vehicle routing decision making for deicing salt spreading are analyzed.
- Winter Maintenance Asset Allocation Based on GIS Snow Plow Route Optimization Model: This paper presents a route optimization model created for the snow plow routes maintained by the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) for District 4 located in northeast Ohio.
- Efficient Routes for Snowplowing, Street Sweeping, and Refuse Collection, article from Public Works, July 2013.
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation’s Snow Routes and Planning Process with GIS, article from FHWA newsletter, January 2015.
Clear Roads Best Practices for Snow Plow Optimization
CH2MHill Snow Plow Route Optimization
C2Logix Snow Plow Optimization Webinar