Plan for Winter Travel
Before leaving for a trip in adverse weather conditions, plan your route and make sure you have an emergency kit in your vehicle. Check your local news for driving advisories and plan accordingly.
#1 Check your local and destination weather. The national 511 website provides links to all available state 511 services.
#2 Pack an essential emergency car kit. Here’s a suggested list of items. Keep this kit in your car at all times during winter so it’s available in case you encounter unexpected traffic backups or bad weather.
#3 Check your vehicle. Prepare your vehicle before winter starts. Then, make a few basic safety checks before each trip:
- Check tires.
- Fill gas tank.
- Check wiper blades and fluid.
- Make sure headlights are working.
Use the checklist below to help you stay safe on the road. [Download PDF version]
- Stock your car with an emergency kit.
- Plan the route to your destination.
- Check the weather forecast and state 511 service.
- Check traffic along your route.
- Check news for travel advisories.
- Charge your cell phone.
- Let someone know when you’re leaving and check in once you arrive.
AAA – Preparing an Emergency Supply Kit
Oregon DOT – Winter Car Care Tips
Oregon DOT – How to Put on Tire Chains