Save the date! The Pacific Northwest Snowfighters will hold their 2020 conference on June 2 and 3 in Portland, Oregon. For details on past conferences, see the PNS website.
Other upcoming events:
- TRB Annual Meeting (January 12-16, Washington, DC)
- APWA Snow Conference (April 19-22, Cleveland, Ohio)
- National Winter Maintenance Peer Exchange (week of September 21, Atlanta)
Hope to see you there!
As temperatures drop, industry magazines are turning their focus to winter maintenance. The October issue of APWA Reporter features an article on Clear Roads training materials:
- Video training on plowing intersections and interchanges
- Video training on using liquids for anti-icing and deicing
- Snowplow Operator and Supervisor Training: 22 customizable instructor-led training modules
For more winter maintenance news, check out Roads & Bridges’ annual Winter Maintenance issue. Article topics include mobile sensors, smarter salt spreaders, and corrosion mitigation.
Check out these recent reports from agencies around the country:
- NCHRP Research Report 889: Performance Measures in Snow and Ice Control Operations, National Cooperative Highway Research Program, 2019. Research report.
- Snow and Ice Control Performance Measurement: Comparing “Grip,” Traffic Speed Distributions and Safety Outcomes During Winter Storms, Vermont Agency of Transportation, April 2019. Research report.
- Bio-Based Renewable Additives for Anti-Icing Applications (Phase II), Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Cold Climates, January 2019. Research report.
- Evaluating Potential Effects of Deicing Salts on Roadside Carbon Sequestration, Center for Environmentally Sustainable Transportation in Cold Climates, January 2019. Research report.
As we work to restructure the product submittal process for the Clear Roads Qualified Products List (QPL), we are requesting that no product checklists or samples be submitted until further notice. We hope to be able to start receiving products by October 14. Thanks for your patience as we make this transition.
Please share this information with anyone who may need it. For more information about the Clear Roads QPL, please visit the QPL page.
Clear Roads members are heading to Burlington, Vermont, next week for the group’s fall meeting, where they will review investigator proposals for 2019 projects. Minutes will be posted on the Meetings page. In other news:
- Time is running out to submit presentation proposals for APWA’s 2020 North American Snow Conference (proposals due September 30) and Public Works Expo (proposals due October 14). More information.
- The SICOP Talks Winter Ops podcast recently kicked off its third season. This week’s episode features Laura Fay, research scientist with the Western Transportation Institute at Montana State University.
In September 2020, the National Winter Maintenance Peer Exchange will merge with the quadrennial conference held by TRB’s Winter Maintenance and Surface Transportation Committees to become the 2020 International Road Weather and Winter Maintenance Conference and Peer Exchange. Sponsored by TRB, Aurora, Clear Roads and the Snow and Ice Pooled Fund Cooperative Program (SICOP), this event will be held the week of September 21, 2020, at the Grand Hyatt Atlanta in Buckhead.
Clear Roads is currently soliciting investigator proposals for five new research projects:
- Expanding Application Rate Guidance for Salt Brine Blends for Direct Liquid Application and Anti-Icing
- Measuring the Efficiencies of Tow Plows and Wing Plows
- Recruitment and Retention of Highway Maintenance Workers
- Synthesis of Technical Requirements and Considerations for an Automated Snowplow Route Optimization RFP Template
- Comparison of Performance of Traditional Chain Conveyor Spreader and Auger-Driven Spreader for Distributing Prewet Salt
Please see the RFP page for more information. For all projects, the deadline to submit proposals is Friday, September 6, 2019.
For many years, the Qualified Products List (QPL) maintained by the Pacific Northwest Snowfighters association has served as a resource for agencies across the country, identifying deicing chemicals and additives that meet established standards for corrosiveness and impact on the environment. As the QPL continues to grow, Clear Roads will be overseeing the product testing and administration for the list, which is now called the Clear Roads QPL. For an updated version of the CR QPL and a Letter to Vendors about the transition, visit the Clear Roads QPL page.
The Clear Roads Technical Advisory Committee met April 16-18 in Indianapolis to select research projects for 2019 funding. The following projects were selected:
- Expanding Brine Recipes and Their Use
- Synthesis: Retention and Recruitment of Highway Maintenance Workers
- Comparison of Performance of Prewet Road Salt Distributed by Traditional Chain Conveyor Spreader vs. Auger-Driven Slurry Spreader
- Measuring the Efficiencies of Tow/Wing Plows
- Specifications for Automated Snowplow Route Optimization
More information about these projects is available in the 2019 All Proposed Projects summary. Requests for investigator proposals will be posted this summer.
Clear Roads has published its fourth Annual Survey of State Winter Maintenance Data, which compiles data on winter resources, materials and costs from 35 states for the 2017-2018 winter season. The spreadsheet-based tool includes a United States map that displays many of these metrics. The tool includes four years of data, and displays averages and changes across winter seasons. See the project page.