Clear Roads is currently soliciting investigator proposals for five new research projects:
- Expanding Application Rate Guidance for Salt Brine Blends for Direct Liquid Application and Anti-Icing
- Measuring the Efficiencies of Tow Plows and Wing Plows
- Recruitment and Retention of Highway Maintenance Workers
- Synthesis of Technical Requirements and Considerations for an Automated Snowplow Route Optimization RFP Template
- Comparison of Performance of Traditional Chain Conveyor Spreader and Auger-Driven Spreader for Distributing Prewet Salt
Please see the RFP page for more information. For all projects, the deadline to submit proposals is Friday, September 6, 2019.
For many years, the Qualified Products List (QPL) maintained by the Pacific Northwest Snowfighters association has served as a resource for agencies across the country, identifying deicing chemicals and additives that meet established standards for corrosiveness and impact on the environment. As the QPL continues to grow, Clear Roads will be overseeing the product testing and administration for the list, which is now called the Clear Roads QPL. For an updated version of the CR QPL and a Letter to Vendors about the transition, visit the Clear Roads QPL page.
The Clear Roads Technical Advisory Committee met April 16-18 in Indianapolis to select research projects for 2019 funding. The following projects were selected:
- Expanding Brine Recipes and Their Use
- Synthesis: Retention and Recruitment of Highway Maintenance Workers
- Comparison of Performance of Prewet Road Salt Distributed by Traditional Chain Conveyor Spreader vs. Auger-Driven Slurry Spreader
- Measuring the Efficiencies of Tow/Wing Plows
- Specifications for Automated Snowplow Route Optimization
More information about these projects is available in the 2019 All Proposed Projects summary. Requests for investigator proposals will be posted this summer.
Clear Roads has published its fourth Annual Survey of State Winter Maintenance Data, which compiles data on winter resources, materials and costs from 35 states for the 2017-2018 winter season. The spreadsheet-based tool includes a United States map that displays many of these metrics. The tool includes four years of data, and displays averages and changes across winter seasons. See the project page.
In a recently completed Clear Roads project, researchers developed an hour-long video that provides animated sequences of efficient plowing paths for 10 different interchange and intersection configurations. A training manual and reference cards complement the video. See the project page.
Clear Roads has published two new synthesis reports. Effective Snow and Ice Personnel and Equipment Management for Storm Activation explores how state DOTs determine when to activate and deactivate winter maintenance crews, and Accuracy of Deicer and Abrasive Material Application Equipment examines state DOTs’ practices for calibrating their deicer application equipment. See all of Clear Roads’ recent synthesis reports.