Hands-on training, classroom instruction, and online training form the foundation of winter maintenance training programs for both new and experienced employees. Training can help introduce a new technique or provide a refresher on core skills. Clear Roads has taken a leading role in developing modular classroom training materials for operators and supervisors that any state or local agency can customize.
Many winter maintenance training opportunities are now available online via webinars or videos. This page provides a sampling of those training resources and opportunities. Additional videos can be found at several of the websites listed below.
- Clear Roads Snowplow Operator and Supervisor Training Materials: 22 modules
- Clear Roads Computer-Based Training DVDs
- FHWA Road Weather Management Program training resources
- National Highway Institute Training Courses
- Iowa DOT Winter Operations Training videos
- Minnesota LTAP Snow and Ice Control Resources
- Pennsylvania DOT LTAP Training Courses
- Washington State DOT Snow and Ice Training Program summary
- Winter maintenance training videos from Cornell University Local Roads Program
|Clear Roads: Training Video for Field Testing of Deicing Materials||Clear Roads Webinar with Caltrans Division of Equipment|
|Clear Roads: Implementation of Liquid-Only Plow Routes (Full Video)||Clear Roads: Implementation of Liquid-Only Plow Routes (Short Video)|
Minnesota DOT Snowplow Operators Training 2016
Iowa DOT Introduction to Snow Removal – Winter Operations Training Series (1 of 15)
|Iowa DOT Winging Techniques – Winter Operations Training Series (8 of 15)||Ohio LTAP Center’s Winter Operations Training Program|